| Since July 1, 2005, applications have been accepted from public agencies and private organizations requesting to lease space on towers. The Kansas Interoperable Communication System can provide public agencies and private organizations the opportunity to lease tower space on existing system towers and to add equipment to optimize their communications. There are 77 existing towers providing statewide communication coverage.
- The state of Kansas is providing public agencies the opportunity to lease space on existing towers for 800 or non 800 MHz uses. Rates for public agencies will be cost recovery based on the amount of rack space utilized in the equipment shelter.
- Private organizations may lease tower space at market rates plus cost recovery to help fund public improvements to the interoperable communication system. In accordance with the law, the needs of public agencies will be given priority when considering available space on the towers. Private organizations may lease on existing towers where space is available.
Size, equipment and engineering specifications of the towers may vary. KDOT communication system technical staff will work with each applicant to determine what tower space (and/or equipment) is necessary to fit their communications requirements.
Process for leasing tower access:
- CSRF application received
and reviewed by KDOT.
- KDOT secures and mails to
applicant the quote from state contracted professional
engineers for structural analysis and intermod/interference
analysis on applicants proposed tower site.
- KDOT secures and sends to applicant the quote from the state contracted tower firm for the installation costs of the equipment shelter and applicant’s equipment.
- Analysis Results received,
reviewed by KDOT and lessee, recommendation/determination
- With applicant authorization,
KDOT secures quote and contracts any modifications
- With applicant authorization, KDOT proceeds with the tower access lease process.
- A one-time $250 administrative fee is assessed and added to the lease costs.
- KDOT legal representative processes lease documents and send them to applicant for review and execution.
- Secretary/designee executes
contractors install applicant's equipment on
the communication system tower and in the equipment
shelter. Lessee will reimburse or otherwise
pay all such costs to KDOT.
- KDOT invoices Lessee for the Annual Lease Payment.
Lease Program Coordinator
Kansas Department of Transportation
Bureau of Construction and Maintenance
Eisenhower State Office Building
700 SW Harrison Street
Topeka, KS 66603