Drivers of vehicles that intend to escort superloads within Kansas shall be come certified before operating in Kansas. Included in the Escort Certification Program are specific standards that must be fully understood and descriptions of specific pieces of equipment that must be kept in each vehicle when escorting superloads. The standards are listed on the “Escort Certification Application.”
Applicants may become certified in two ways:
- One (1) year - provided they have obtained another state certification, and possess a valid driver’s license.
- After the initial one-year certification, if a driver desires to become re-certified he or she shall have completed a defensive driving course that has been approved by the National Safety Council (call 816-842-5223 to obtain the location of training classes nearest your location)
- Three (3) years - by providing evidence of possessing a CDL or is able provide evidence of passing a defensive driving course that has been approved by the National Safety Council.
- If documents cannot be provided supporting the completion of a defensive driving course re-certification will be denied
- All supporting documents shall be provided at the time of application
- The form entitled, "Escort Certification of Compliance Application" shall be fully completed and returned to the Kansas Trucking Connection as soon as possible.
- Newly certified escort drivers will be sent a packet of escort material (program standards, maps and special forms) at the time the certification is returned to the driver.
- This certification material must be read very carefully.
- Reading documents may not be sent by facsimile.
- If you have lost your initial packet of information contact the Special Permit section at 785-271-3145.
- The form entitled, "Superload Report Form" is to be comlpeted only by one of the certified escorts and returned to the Kansas Trucking Connection, within five (5) days after the move has been completed.
- Failure to do so may result in the suspension of the escort certification.
- Certified escorts are fully responsible for the safe transportation of superloads in Kansas.
Each escort driver shall meet with the superload driver before beginning the move for a number of reasons:
- To make sure both the escort and driver understands the information that has been printed on the permit
- To verify the information shown on the permit (the height of the load is what is shown on the permit, etc.).
- If there is a discrepancy or to obtain the bridge memorandum, the escort driver shall call 785-271-3145 to discuss the matter with a permit technician
- To read the bridge memorandum very carefully to ensure that both the driver of the superload and the escort driver are very familiar with the approved route, know what is to be done when crossing over bridges and to make sure all restrictions are understood by everyone
- To know what needs to be done if and when an emergency situation is encountered.
If there are any questions or further clarification is needed on any of the restrictions shown on the permit or issues surrounding the movement of superloads contact the permit section at 785-271-3145 to resolve any questions.