A "large structure" is defined as a load that is greater than 16' 6" in width and/or 18' in height.
Most recently, loads longer than 126 feet are also being considered large structures (not including structural material, beams, poles, etc. which may be permitted up to a maximum of 140 feet).
Structural material being transported on combinations in which the overall length is greater than 140 will be considered large structures also requiring district approval before a permit can be issued.
Instructions prior to moving
Special requirements for the movement of large structures
- Obtain a "large structure worksheet by calling the Kansas Trucking Connection at 785-271-3145.
- Fill out the "large structure worksheet" completely. Incomplete worksheets will be returned to the customer
- Locate your route on the district map to determine what district engineers need to be contacted
- Contact the appropriate engineer and discuss what needs to be done to make sure the move gets safely moved to its destination and to receive approval for the move.
- When the route has been approved by the district engine have the appropriate district official sign the worksheet.
- Fax the signed completed worksheet to Kansas Trucking Connection at 785-271-3145.
- Kansas Trucking Connection will approve the large structure permit and return it to the mover using the fax number shown on the worksheet.
- A district representative within each district the load travels shall sign the "large structure worksheet" before a permit can be issued to the customer
- Large structure permits may not be renewed or transferred to another vehicle or company.
- Large structure movements shall be confined to city and county roadways as much as possible.
- Large structures shall not be moved on Interstate highways, except in very extreme and rare circumstances. In such cases, prior approval shall be obtained from the Kansas Trucking Connection. Local enforcement personnel shall be present to provide traffic control when the transporting vehicle is traveling on the interstate.
- The transporting vehicle shall be the only vehicle on the applicable portion of the interstate when interstate travel is permiited.
- Large structures shall not be parked on any traveled portion of the state system of highways.
- Transporting vehicles having to park on the right-of-way shall have at least 30 feet clearance from the traveled portion of the highway.
- Movers of large structures shall contact all appropriate utility companies and railroads before transporting the load.
- If trees are needing to be trimmed the mover shall contact the district engineer before any trimming may be done.
- Movers of large structures shall contact the district engineer to obtain authorization before removing or relocating any signs, hazard markers, or other property of the department
- The final decision on routing, time of day or approving any large structure movement resides with the local district official.
- Front and rear escorts are required for all movements of large structures (certification is currently not required for these loads).
- The vehicle transporting the large structure shall be the only vehicle crossing bridges.