Stormwater Management Program
MS4 Public Education & Outreach
KDOT provides training to our staff and consultants. Materials are available for the publics stormwater water pollution prevention awareness.
Storm Water Runoff
KDOT controls runoff by utilizing best management practices such as vegetative swales and sedimentation ponds, but these efforts do not completely eliminate the pollutants introduced into water sources by storm water runoff.
Site managers should ensure compliance with KDOT's storm water management program for construction sites.
Storm Water Management Program
The public’s role in the Storm Water Management Program can further reduce the levels of pollution found in our water resources by taking the following actions.
Eliminate litter - Litter can originate on roadways and end up in streams. First, eliminate personal littering. Then, participate in the Kansas Adopt-a-Highway programs.
Prevent illicit discharge - Because there is generally no treatment of storm water before it enters into a receiving stream, any illegal connection, dumping or tie-in to a storm sewer is considered an illicit discharge.
- Sanitary wastewater (sewage)
- Septic tank waste
- Car wash, laundry and industrial wastewater
- Improper disposal of automotive fluids and household toxins including motor oil, antifreeze or pesticides
- Spills on roadways or other accidents
- Contaminated groundwater
- Dispose of all trash and recyclables in the proper receptacles and never place trash next to a full container
- Take used oil to a local quick lube, auto shop or your municipal collection center
- Carry a plastic bag when walking pets and dispose of pet waste in a trash can
- Wash your car on your lawn so excess water, chemicals and dirt are filtered through grass and vegetation
- When backpacking, bury human waste in a hole eight inches deep and at least 55 yards from a water source
- When playing at the beach, change a baby's diaper before swimming and use swim diapers for infants
- Install garbage bins on your boat and never dump waste into the lake
Dale Kirmer P.E.
MS4 Storm Program Manager
Jason Van Nice, P.E.
Construction Storm Water Manager
Jason Van Nice@ks.gov