Signing FAQ's

QUESTION 1Whom do I contact for information regarding billboards?
Answer:Contact the Beautification Section of the Bureau of Right of Way at (785) 296-3501.
QUESTION 2Whom do I contact for information regarding logo signs?
Answer:Contact Kansas Logos at 1-800-449-4420.
QUESTION 3I noticed a sign that is down or needs maintenance, whom should I contact?
Answer:Contact the KDOT Area office.
QUESTION 4What agency do I contact for information for roads other than state highways?
Answer:If the road is located within a city, contact the City Engineer. If it is a county road, contact the County Engineer. If it is on private property, the signing is the owner's responsibility, but the owner may be subject to signing regulations administered through the Bureau of Right of Way.
QUESTION 5I've seen some mile markers along the road. How are those established? It seems like some are not a mile apart.
Answer:The markers were originally installed a mile apart. However, over time, routes are increased or decreased in length due to construction projects. Because of this, we refer to them as "reference" markers instead of mile markers. It would not be practical to relocate all the markers along the route every time the length of the route changed. Also, many statistics are tied to the reference markers, such as accident locations, and historical records would no longer be accurate if the markers were relocated. For your information, the reference markers increase from south to north for odd numbered routes and from west to east for even numbered routes. (For example, reference marker 20 on US-36 is approximately 20 miles from the Colorado border.)
QUESTION 6Our city limit extends quite a bit farther out than the City Limit sign is placed. Why isn't it located properly?
Answer:City Limit signs are placed at the location where the city limit crosses the highway. Often, a city has annexed one side of the highway farther than the other side. If you feel there is an error in the location, please contact your City. They can then provide necessary documentation regarding the city limits to our Bureau of Transportation Planning.
QUESTION 7When are Stop Ahead signs used on approaches to the state highway?
Answer:If another state highway must stop, two Stop Ahead signs are used. If a major county road must stop, one Stop Ahead sign is used. Stop Ahead signs are used on other approaches when the sight distance is limited. An engineering study may also recommend Stop Ahead signs.

To request an alternative accessible format of a KDOT publication, please contact Transportation Information, Eisenhower Building,