Kansas Department of Transportation "...to provide a statewide transportation system to meet the needs of Kansas."
  NEWS   Safe Not Sorry Image
Public Information

Online permits save motor carriers time, money

Aug. 17, 2001 (Release 01-104)


News Contact: Kim Stich, (785) 296-3585

Online permits save motor carriers time, money

Motor carriers in Kansas as well as across the country can now save time and money by purchasing their Kansas permits online and printing from their home or business. This new service is provided by the Kansas Department of Revenue (KDOR) and the Motor Carrier Services Bureau (MCSB). MCSB issued about 80,000 permits last year.

"I know personally, from my 26 years in the trucking industry, carriers appreciate not getting bogged down in bureaucratic red tape," said KDOR Secretary Stephen Richards. "This online application will enable them to get back on the road quickly."

The online permitting system is part of a new motor carrier web site that supplies information from several state agencies in one location. The web site, www.truckingks.org, gives motor carriers around-the-clock access to permits, credentialing and other information on:

  • Permits and licensing;
  • Federal Motor Carriers;
  • Roads and weather;
  • Taxes;
  • Escrow accounts;
  • Safety issues.

"We look at the online permit application as an extension of our office hours," said KDOR Director of Motor Vehicles Sheila Walker. "Carriers were limited to

requesting permits between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Now, theyll be able to get most permits after 5 p.m. and on weekends, seven days a week."

The web site also gives customers a link to information on Oversize or Overweight (OSOW) permits issued by the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT). By going to Special Oversize/Overweight permits from the www.truckingks.org, web site, people can get standard permits, view all the Kansas administrative regulations governing OSOW activity, link to the Special Permit web page and gain access to the many governmental/industry web pages.

Permits available on the web site, www.truckingks.org, include: 30-Day Registration, 60-Day Harvest, 72-Hour Registration, Regular OS/OW (oversize/overweight), Annual OS/OW, IRP Replacement Tag, IRP Temporary, IRP Replacement Cab Card, KCC Emergency, KCC Special, Kansas Fuel and Raised Weight.

KDOR has partnered with the Information Network of Kansas, Inc., for the application and portal design. The Information Network of Kansas is the agency responsible for accessKansas, the official state web portal (www.accessKansas.org), and provider of electronic government solutions for the state. The network manager for accessKansas is Kansas Information Consortium, Inc., a subsidiary of National Information Consortium (EGOV), The eGovernment Company™ .

This page last updated 08/28/01