The Kansas Safety Belt Use Act (KSA
- Each occupant of a passenger car who is 14 years of age or older shall have a safety belt properly fastened at all times the vehicle is in motion.
- Each occupant of a passenger car 14 years of age but younger than 18 years of age in any seating position can be cited for this violation (KSA 8-2503(b). The fine is $60 and no court costs.
- Front seat occupants of a passenger car who are 18 years of age or older can be cited for this violation. Beginning July 1, 2011, the fine is $10, and no court costs.
- Back seat occupants of a passenger car 18 years of age or older can be cited for a seat belt violation only after another citation is issued (KSA 8-2503). Beginning July 1, 2011, the fine is $10 and no court costs.
APPLIES TO SECONDARY ENFORCEMENT ONLY:
- Unless there is a primary violation of law, drivers may not be stopped for the secondary safety belt violation.
- Citations for violations may not be issued without citing the violation that cause the stop.
- Passengers must be cited separately from drivers.
APPLIES TO PRIMARY AND SECONDARY ENFORCEMENT:
KSA 8-2502 defines "passanger car" as "a motor vehicle, manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1968, or a motor vehicle manufactured or assembled prior to 1968 which was manufactured or assembled
with safety belts, with motive power designed for carrying 10 passengers or fewer, including vans, but does not include a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle."
"The provisions of this section shall be applicable and uniform throughout the state and no city, county, subdivision or local authority shall enact or enforce any law, ordinance, rule, regulation or resolution in conflict with, in addition to, or supplemental to, the provisions of this section." KSA-2504(d)
DOES NOT APPLY TO PRIMARY OR SECONDARY ENFORCEMENT:
From KSA 8-2503:
- Occupants who possess a written statement from a licensed physician that the person is unable for medical reasons to wear a seat belt.
- U.S. mail carriers while actually engaged in delivery and collection of mail.
- Newspaper persons while actually engaged in newspaper delivery.
The Child Passenger Safety Act
(KSA 8-1343) applies to occupants under the age of 14.